Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas Brew, or 'Jólabjór'

This year I feel like I've been hearing more than the usual clamour about the Tuborg Christmas Brew.

It seems that my fellow rock-dwellers are in love with this Danish beer, and I find it regrettable. Why are they so enamoured by a mediocre beer from Denmark, when their own Christmas brews are so very, very good?

Could it be that it's one time of the year when any discernable difference can be noticed from the bland, urine-coloured concoction that is usually on offer? Is it yet more evidence of the special relationship?

Here's some interesting data, from this page.










What it shows is that Tuborg sold nearly twice as much as the best-selling local brew. Let's try to turn that around a bit, shall we? I've been celebrating the rise of the Icelandic beers, so here are some ideas:



Named after one of the 'Yule-Lads', this one's very appealing.


I visited the friendly chaps at Bruggsmiðjan recently and their Jólakaldi is great.


Egils Jólagull is a great-tasting brew, albeit from a big producer.



Egils Malt Jólabjór is a nice, chewy brew from the same people.


Einstök Doppel Bock Jólabjór looks like a bundle of laughs...


I've not sampled Gæðingur Jólabjór yet, so the brewers are more than welcome to send me a couple of bottles to review. I promise to be honest.

Please go out and try them, of only for the sake of the age-old wisdom that the best beer is the one that's travelled least.

I really do hope that the Icelandic beers gain a bigger foothold and that people see how amazing they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment